(click each decade of service to view)
Each picture thumbnail can then be further expand once opened.
Construction - Bath Iron Works (BIW)
The Fifth Ship of the
Fleet to bear the name Hull was built by Bath Iron Works Corporation;
Bath, Maine. Her keel was laid down 12 December 1956; launched 10 August 1957,
under the sponsorship of Mrs. Albert G. Mumma; delivered to Boston Naval
Shipyard 25 June 1958 where she was commissioned 3 July 1958, with Commander H.
H. Ries commanding.
Lt. Schlaufman has provided a host of information
related to the commissioning of Hull and its transit to San Diego. FYI:
Lt. Schlaufman was the first crewmember to report aboard.
Lawson Woodall BTC, serves on two Hull's
- Compliments of Lt. Lou Schlaufman
(click to enlarge)
Operating Guide For Propulsion Machinery (click book to view)
Compliments of Jeff Ackley BTC '76-80 & 82-83
her shakedown training in New England waters, steaming out of Newport 7
September 1958 to join the Pacific Fleet at San Diego, via the Panama Canal. She
visited Kingston Jamaica; Guantanamo Bay, Cuba; La Guaira, Venezuela; Balboa,
Panama; and Gallao, Peru. Wolfgang Larrazabal, president of the "Junta"
government of Venezuela visited Hull.
Hull traverses the Isthmus of Panama on 24 Sep 1958
(click picture to expand)
Order of the Locks certificate compliments of
Plankowner Frank Davis
Hull crosses the Equator
on 28 Sep 1958
Hull arrived at her home port
of San Diego on 13 October 1958 joining the Pacific Fleet as a member of
Destroyer Squadron One. She took part in fleet training exercises until
departing for the Far East.
On 15 April 1959 she deployed
to the Far East and operated with the mighty 7th Fleet on Formosa Patrol,
helping express America's determination to protect the island and maintain peace
in the area. She returned to San Diego 3 September 1959.
Crew Stories and Accounts
(Caution - Usually told through the fog of time, perhaps a beer or two, and
sometimes graciously embellished) Please, no tales intended to humiliate.