The first U. S. Naval vessel Named for Commodore Isaac Hull was built in 1860 at New York as the side wheel ferry, Nuestra Seņora de Regla, intended for use at Havana, Cuba. Purchased by the Navy 1 September 1862; fitted out by Copeland and Howe, New York; and commissioned a 376-ton gunboat 27 November 1862, with Acting Master W. G. Saltonstall commanding.
Her ferryboat design made her especially useful for operations in sheltered waters. Assigned to the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron Commodore Hull spent most of her service in North Carolina Sounds and adjacent rivers. She took part in the siege of Washington, N.C., from 30 March to 16 April 1863 and in the action with the Confederate ironclad CSS Albemarle in Albemarle Sound on 5 May 1864. As a picket, Commodore Hull was the first to sight the formidable ram approaching and fired at her from close quarters in the 3-hour engagement. She joined in the operations around Plymouth, N.C. on 29 - 31 October 1864. In the later action she was heavily damaged by Confederate batteries, losing four killed and three wounded. After repairs she returned to her patrols and remained active until the end of the Civil War. Commodore Hull was decomrnissioned at New York Navy Yard 8 June 1865.
Rank and Organization: Coxswain, U.S. Navy.
Born: 1840, Ireland.
Accredited To: New York. G.O. No.: 45,
31 December 1864.
Citation: Served on board the U.S.S. Commodore Hull at the capture of Plymouth, 31 October 1864. Painfully wounded by a shell which killed the man at his side, Colbert, as captain of the forward pivot gun, remained at his post until the end of the action, braving the heavy enemy fire and appearing as cool as if at mere target practice.
Displacement: 376 Tons; Length: 141' (oa); Beam: 28'4"; Draft: 9'
Battery: 2 - 30 pounders and 4 - 24 pounders
Propulsion: Side Wheeler
Speed: 10 Knots
Sold at New York Navy Yard 27 September 1865. She subsequently was named Waccamaw in civilian employment, which lasted until sometime prior to 1885.